UNiCORN SPiT Concentrated Gel Medium:
A universal medium used for wood staining, painting, fabric dying, glass art, refinishing furniture, faux finishes and more by schools, professionals, artists, crafters, hobbyist, DiY’ers & woodworkers around the world. Aromatherapy infused, ViBRANT, certified non toxic colors packed into an easily controlled gel.
Can be applied with a brush, foam pad, spray bottle, airbrush, cloth, paper towel or even your hands!
Use water to keep product from drying out on surface, easily manipulate, dilute as you go, make corrections or clean off and start over with ease.
The absence of micro plastics and harsh chemicals gives UNiCORN SPiT the ability to dry in your brushes, paint pallets and stencils without damaging them. Simply mist with water to reactivate the pigments for a second go or wash away. Easy water clean up while being eco safe.
UNiCORN SPiT® dries quickly. Dry time is approximately 3 minutes to 48 hours depending on material, technique, humidity and temperature. A dull chalky finish will appear letting you know when it’s dry. Great for busy lifestyles, creating on the go and classes.
Seal with any non-water based coating and watch the MAGiC as the chalky finish disappears & colors become vibrant right before your eyes.
Sealing with a satin or matte finish will achieve a two dimensional result. Multiple coats of gloss topcoat or one coat of epoxy / resin like FAMOWOOD GLAZE COAT will result in a unique, deep three dimensional effect.
Save space and money by mixing UNiCORN SPiT with an array of clear diluting agents. Replace the need of keeping stock of multiple colors of fabric paint, alcohol ink, chalk paste, self sealing stains, glass paint, stamping ink and more! You can make it all on your own with UNiCORN SPiT!
CONFIGURING DILUTION RATES:
To choose the dilution rate that fits your need, sample first. Prepare samples and test on same substrate as your project.
To prepare samples:
1. Add 1 part UNiCORN SPiT to a resealable container
2. Add 1 part diluting agent to container and mix well.
3. Apply small amount of mixture to the test surface.
4. Allow to dry.
6. Record ratio and result.
7. Repeat steps 2 - 6 on a clean test area.
RECOMMENDED DILUTING AGENTS:
Mix these mediums with UNiCORN SPiT to DiY other art mediums.
• Dishwasher Safe Decoupage
• Water Based Topcoat
• Fabric Medium
• E-6000 Fabric Fuse
• 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
• Clear Acrylic Paint
• Epoxy / Resin
• Food Safe Water Based Sealants
• Water-Based Concrete Sealants
• Pouring Medium
AT THIS TIME THE DIRECTIONS & DILUTION RATIOS DO NOT APPLY TO THE Unicorn SPiT Metallic LINE
Prep is always key! Be sure to complete the following before applying UNiCORN SPiT to any surface for best results.
APPLY OVER EXISTING PAINTED, STAINED, SEALED SURFACES, PLASTIC and GLASS:
1. Remove any and all dirt, grease, grime, waxy build up and oils with a cleaning agent.
2. Lightly buff with fine grit sandpaper to degloss surface.(Does not apply to glass)
3. Wipe surface with derathane or 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue or dust.
4. Allow to dry
STAINING WOOD, CONCRETE, CLAY OR OTHER POROUS SURFACES:
1. Remove any and all dirt, grease, grime, waxy build up or oils with a cleaning or stripping agent.
2. Wipe surface with derathane or 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue.
3. Sand exposing raw substrate
4. Remove sanding dust
RAW WOOD, RAW CONCRETE, RAW CLAY, CANVAS, PAPER, CLEAN FABRIC:
1. Remove all stickers, labels, adhesives and protective films are removed.
2. Remove any dust
Seal with any non-water based coating and watch the magic as the chalky finish disappears & colors become vibrant again before your eyes Sealing with a satin or matte finish will give a two dimensional result.
Multiple coats of gloss topcoat or one coat of epoxy / resin like FAMOWOOD GLAZE COAT will result in a unique, deep three dimensional effect.
While sealing is not mandatory, we advise sealing for durability and moisture protection. Multiple coats are recommended for extreme durability.
Here’s a list of common compatible sealers.
• Interior Oil-Based Sealants
• Finishing Wax
• Sealing Salves
• Aerosol Clear Coat and Lacquer
• Epoxy and Resin
• Clear Nail Polish
• Oil-Based Food Safe Sealants
• Butcher Block Oil
• Exterior Oil-Based Sealants
• Marine Varnish
• Hard Finishing Wax
• Wood Penetrating and Treatment Oils
LOOKS FROM FINISHES:
• Satin and matte topcoats will result a one-two dimensional effect.
• Gloss sealer will achieve a semi three dimensional effect.
• High gloss epoxy / resin like FAMOWOOD GLAZE COAT will help achieve a deep three-dimensional look.
Apply the following UNiCORN SPiT applications to painted, sealed or bare surfaces including but not limited to metal, pottery, concrete, ceramics, plastic, laminate, paper, fabric & leather after completing the surface preparation.
All of the following directions pertain to our Original & SPARKLiNG lines. Not all directions will work with the Metallic line & will be noted.
1. Use UNiCORN SPiT right out of the bottle with a paint brush for opaque paint.
2. Seal between coats for heavier coverage or color layering.
GEL OR LIQUID WATERCOLOR
1. Use UNiCORN SPiT in place of gel or liquid water color.
2. Apply with traditional gel or liquid water color techniques but use more water as it is very potent.
DRY / HARD WATERCOLOR
1. Mix UNiCORN SPiT with 1/2 parts water.
2. Refill water color pallets with mixture
3. Allow to dry or freeze
4. Apply with traditional dry / hard watercolor techniques.
1. Mist raw wood surface with water to open the pores. No wood conditioner needed if wood is not at risk of cracking due to dryness.
2. Apply one or multiple colors of diluted UNiCORN SPiT to surface with sprayer, foam pad, brush or cloth following the grain. (You can also dilute as you go when using water by applying UNiCORN SPiT directly to a water wet brush while utilizing a water mister to blend the color in.)
3. Allow to dry. Dry time is approximately 3 minutes to 48 hours (depending on material, humidity and temperature) or until a chalky finish appears.
4. (Optional) After drying, lightly buff the surface with a fine grade sandpaper (120-220 grit) or extra-fine steel wool (following the grain) to distress or give a worn look.
5. Dust thoroughly.
GLASS STAIN or GLASS PAINT
1. Prepare Surface
2. For a semi solid/non-transparent color, apply UNiCORN SPiT directly to prepared glass.
For translucent results (stained-glass style) mix 1 part UNiCORN SPiT with 4-10 parts WATER-BASED decoupage before applying to glass. The lower the ration of UNiCORN SPiT results in a more translucent effect. (Colors will dull slightly in this “wet” stage but return when cured or sealed.)
3. Apply directly to prepared glass.
4. Allow to cure following the decoupage manufacturer’s directions or until a solid chalky finish appears.
NOTE: When using decoupage as the diluting agent, apply a second coat of clear decoupage following the curing of the first for durability.
1. Prepare surface
2. Lightly with 220 sandpaper to remove any gloss.
3. Apply UNiCORN SPiT in an array of techniques. (A base coat of paint or primer is optional)
4. Allow to dry / cure
5. Seal: We recommend sealing countertops with an epoxy / resin, such as Famowood Glaze Coat.
1. Prepare Surface.
2. Mix UNiCORN SPiT with 5-20 parts 71% Isopropyl Alcohol. (Higher alcohol ratio will achieve a lighter pigment. Lower ratio alcohol will achieve a deeper / stronger pigment.)
3. Mix well.
4. Mix colors to achieve custom colors.
5. Apply using common alcohol ink practices.
NOTE: Some mixes may need minerals strained out before use.
EPOXY / RESIN TINT
1. Prepare surface.
2. Mix epoxy or resin per manufacturer’s directions.
3. Add 1 part UNiCORN SPiT to 10-20 parts Epoxy/Resin immediately at the beginning of allotted working time.(The lower ration of UNiCORN SPiT results a more translucent effect.)
4. Stir well until fully incorporated.
6. Allow to cure / harden according to epoxy / resin manufacturer’s directions.
AUTOMOTIVE / METAL PAINT
1. Prepare surface
2. Sand prepared surface lightly with 220 sandpaper to remove any gloss
3. A base coat of primer is optional.
4. Apply UNiCORN SPiT in an array of techniques.
CHALK PASTE FOR SCREEN AND TRADITIONAL STENCILS
1. Prepare surface
2. Mix UNiCORN SPiT with stencil powder following manufacturers directions in resealable container.
3. Allow to develop.
4. Apply following traditional techniques.
5. Easily remove wet or dried product design from chalk board or well sealed surfaces with damp cloth at your leisure.
6. To make permanent- seal.
FLOW / FLUID ART
1. Mix 1 parts UNiCORN SPiT, 1/2 parts water with 4-10 parts paint extender / pouring medium. The lower the ration of UNiCORN SPiT results in a more translucent effect. (Colors will dull slightly in this “wet” stage but turn vibrant again once cured and sealed.)
2. Add a few drops of cell serum for large cells is optional. UNiCORN SPiT creates small cells naturally due to the existing scented oil.
3. Apply flow mixture to level prepared surface.
4. Allow to cure / harden for 24 - 48 hours (depending on material, humidity and temperature) or until a solid chalky finish appears.
5. No need to powder and clean oil off unless pooling of added cell serum is present.
6. Seal using epoxy / resin or top coat of choice.
1. Surface Prep: Clean surface with degreasing agent, then rinse, removing any residue. Sand cleaned surface lightly with 220 sandpaper to remove any gloss. Clean all sanding dust and allow to dry. A base coat of paint is not required.
2. Apply UNiCORN SPiT® in an array of techniques.
3. SEAL: We recommend sealing countertops with an epoxy/resin, such as FAMOWOOD GLAZE COAT. For surfaces other than countertops, feel free to seal with your choice of non-water based topcoats.
FABRIC PAINT OR DYE :
Apply the following directly to clean fabric by dipping, soaking, tie-dying, brushing, stenciling, splattering or spraying onto fabric. Achieve permanent and semipermanent results on common fabrics & knits.
For best results, wash finished product in cold water by hand (with very little detergent). Rinse with cold water.
Colors will fade gradually thru each wash. Color transferring MAY occur.
1. Mix 1 part UNiCORN SPiT with 0-10 parts water. The lower the ration of UNiCORN SPiT results in a more translucent effect.
3. Heat set using the following color setting methods below. *This will NOT change the texture, durability and feel of the fabric.
A- HAIR DRYER: Let UNiCORN SPiT dry. Use hottest blow dryer setting to heat fabric until fabric is hot. Allow to cool to room temperature.
B- IRON: Let UNiCORN SPiT dry. Put iron on hottest setting (without moisture). Lay freezer paper or parchment paper over fabric. Iron front and back of fabric until hot. Allow to cool to room temperature.
C- CLOTHES DRYER: Place DRIED project in dryer for 1 hour on hottest setting. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature.
4. Let set for 24 hours before use.
•PERMANENT FABRIC USE:
Color transferring may NOT occur.
1. Mix 1 part UNiCORN SPiT with 1-20 parts fabric medium.
3. Allow to cure following the fabric medium manufacturer’s directions before use. (apply a second coat of untreated fabric medium for high traffic surfaces such as upholstered furniture) *This MAY change the texture, durability and feel of the fabric.
E-6000 FABRIC FUSE:
1. Mix 1 parts UNiCORN SPiT with 3-7 parts E-6000 FABRIC FUSE.
2. Dry flat for 5 hours. Washable after 72 hours. *This WILL change the texture, durability and feel of the fabric.
FABRIC PROTECTANT SPRAY:
1. Apply interior or exterior silicone waterproofing spray protectant to dried project.
2. Allow to cure following manufacturer’s directions before use. (apply a second coat of untreated fabric medium for high traffic surfaces such as upholstered furniture, fashion accessories and footwear) *This will NOT change the texture, durability or feel of the fabric.
1. Prepare Surface
a. For a semi solid/non-transparent color, apply UNiCORN SPiT® directly to prepared glass.
b. For translucent results (stained-glass style) mix 1 part UNiCORN SPiT® with 4-10 parts WATER-BASED decoupage before applying to glass. The lower the ration of UNiCORN SPiT® results in a more translucent effect. (Colors will dull slightly in this “wet” stage but return when cured or sealed.)
3. Apply directly to prepared glass.
4. Allow to cure following the decoupage manufacturer’s directions or until a solid, chalky finish appears.
5. SEAL: To add durability to the exterior of regularly handled items, spray a light, OIL-BASED clear coat over project and let it dry.
NOTE: When using decoupage as the diluting agent, apply a second coat of clear decoupage following the curing of the first, for added durability.
Unicorn SPiT Concentrated Gel Stain
990 OWEN LOOP NORTH EUGENE, OREGON 97042-9121 USA